List of Spanish Missions in Georgia
Georgia mission era, extending from 1568 through 1684.
Mission San Pedro y San Pablo de Puturibato (1595-1597), on Cumberland Island
Mission San Buenaventura de Guadalquini (1605-1684), on St. Simons Island. During the 17th century, St. Simons Island was one of the most important settlements of the Mocama missionary province of Spanish Florida.
Mission San Diego de Satuache (ca. 1610-1663), on the mouth of the Ogeechee River.
Mission San Joseph de Sapala (ca. 1605-1684), on Sapelo Island.
San Lorenzo de Ibihica (ca. 1620-1656), near Folkston.
San Pedro de Mocama (1587-ca. 1660), on Cumberland Island.
Cumberland Island's first inhabitants, the Timucuan Indians, called Cumberland 'Missoe'. They lived on the island as early as 4,000 years ago. During the 16th century, Cumberland Island was part of the Mocama missionary province of Spanish Florida and home to one of the main Spanish mission towns, San Pedro de Mocama. San Pedro de Mocama was the first successful mission established in Georgia.
Mission San Phelipe de Alave (ca. 1610-ca. 1670), on the North Newport River.
Mission San Phelipe II (ca. 1670-1684), on Cumberland Island
Santa Catalina de Guale (1602-1702), on St. Catherines Island, Sapelo Island, and Amelia Island
Mission Santa Clara de Tupiqui/Espogache (1595-ca. 1670), on the Sapelo River
Mission Santa Cruz de Cachipile (ca. 1625-1657), near Valdosta
Santa Isabel de Utinahica (ca. 1610-ca. 1640), at the forks of the Altamaha River
Mission Santa Maria de los Angeles de Arapaja (ca. 1625-1657), on the Alapaha River
Mission Santiago de Oconi (ca. 1620-1656), on the Okefenokee Swamp
Mission Santo Domingo de Asao/Talaje (1595-1661), at the mouth of the Altamaha River
Mission Santo Domingo de Asao/Talaje II (1661-1684), on St. Simons Island
Mission Talapo (1595-1597), on the mainland near Sapelo Island
Mission Tolomato (1595-1597), on the mainland near St. Catherines Island